Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Censorship of Cups

In Waco, Texas a dining contractor has removed coffee cups with a gay author's quote from a Starbucks at Baylor University, saying it was inappropriate for the Baptist school.

"I think they were trying to be sensitive," Baylor spokesman Larry Brumley said. "Obviously, Baylor is a Baptist-affiliated institution, and Baptists as a denomination have been pretty outspoken on the record about the denomination's views about the homosexual lifestyle."

The quote from novelist Armistead Maupin reads:

"My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

Cade Hammond, president of the board of directors for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance of Central Texas, said he thinks the cups' removal as unnecessarily restrictive.

No 'Open Minds' expected at that university, then. Are they fit and proper people to be involved with an educational establishment? A stronger response is needed in the US than from Cade Hammond, I think.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning. I'll keep away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home